September 26: Monday is Schedule B; piloting an internship program for seniors this spring; the reality of safe spaces; more…
I hope everyone is doing well! Here is important information for this week:
- We have a normal schedule every day this week, except on Monday, which is a Schedule B Students will meet in the following area:
- Seniors will meet in Stroud Auditorium to hear cap and gown information from Jostens and to begin planning Class Night.
- Juniors will meet in the large gym to begin planning Prom.
- Sophomores will meet in the small gym to learn about the Design Lab we are piloting with sophomores (more information will be sent to families as it gets closer).
- Freshmen will stay in their Freshman Program classes.
- We are piloting an internship program for our seniors this Spring. We are still looking for a dermatologist that would be willing to participate in the program. If you know of a dermatologist that is interested, please email Mrs. O’Connor (email@example.com) in the Counseling Center.
- In the school setting, we talk a lot about “safe” spaces. Realistically, there is no space in which every single person feels safe, and some of the most important conversations and learning occur when you aren’t in a safe space. During our restorative practice training, we changed our vocabulary from safe space to brave space. The following poem by Micky ScottBey Jones was shared with us, and this poem really resonated with me:
Invitation to Brave Space
Together we will create brave space
Because there is no such thing as a “safe space”.
We exist in the real world.
We all carry scars, and we have all caused wounds.
In this space
We seek to turn down the volume of the outside world,
We amplify voices that fight to be heard elsewhere,
We call each other to more truth and love
We have the right to start somewhere and continue to grow.
We have the responsibility to examine what we think we know.
We will not be perfect.
This space will not be perfect.
It will not always be what we wish it to be
It will be our brave space together,
We will work on it side by side.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
University High School